Troubleshooting - Neuros OSD Support
Documents, Videos and Files
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I know when the OSD is powered on?
- Once the power is connected, the green light will be on. Then once you go to the right video channel on your TV, the menu will be displayed on there.
- How do I know what version of firmware I am currently running?
- In the menu screen you go to settings, then properties and it will be displayed there.
- How do I turn it off?
- You may have noticed that the OSD does not have an on/off switch. If it is plugged in, it is turned on, and vice versa. However, there really is no downside to leaving it on ALL the time. The OSD draws little to no power when it is not being used and the heat generated by the OSD is negligible. If you are truly concerned about leaving it on, you can simply unplug it, but this really isn't necessary.
- I broke something and my OSD doesn't work! How do I do a factory restore?
- Please consult the following page for instructions on performing an Emergency Upgrade.
- Why isn’t my external hard drive recognized by the Neuros OSD?
- For Windows
If you want to record to/play from an external hard drive, you will need it to be formatted in FAT 32 file system. However, Windows imposes a limitation that prevents users from formatting a drive to a size greater than 32GB. As most drives these days are greater than 32GB, we recommend the following:
- Format your drive using Windows and a free program called SwissKnife. A manual on how to use this program can be found here.
- Some customers have experienced problems with SwissKnife. If you are one of them, please try using the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool.
- If this solution does not work as well, try using the RidgeCrop FAT 32 Formatter.
For Mac OS X
We have found instructions on how to format your external hard drive to FAT 32 on your Mac OS X here.
Please note that these tools and references are not supported by Neuros Technology.
- Why doesn’t my memory card work?
- If you haven’t reformatted your card, that may be the issue. A simple format in the device that you are going to be using should work.
- Why does my OSD keep freezing?
- If you haven’t reformatted your card, that may be the issue. A simple format in the device that you are going to be using should work. Staying current on your firmware can also resolve this. If it doesn’t, please contact support.
- I hear sound, but don’t see a picture, what do I do?
- This may be due to the cables being plugged in incorrectly. Please verify that the White/Yellow/Red cables are plugged into the appropriate color coded ports on the source and the TV. If you are using the S-Video input, please note that S-Video does not cover Audio. You will need to use the White and Red audio cables to ensure you are receiving audio from your source.
- Why is my recorded video choppy?
- There are many reasons why recorded video can be choppy. Here are a few solutions to this problem:
- Upgrade your firmware. Each release has better playback ability than the previous. An upgrade may immediately fix the issues you are seeing.
- Change the device for which you are recording. This is especially true if you are intending to play back video on portable devices such as a Palm Treo or other smartphone. Under "Video" > "Recording Settings" menu, you can change your intended playback device.
- Defragment the memory card/device you are recording to. As you record video, chunks of video get stored in different locations on the storage device, resulting in "fragmentation". Fragmentation slows down the Neuros OSD, as it requires your device to have to find the chunks in different areas of the disk.
- Why is my audio/video recordings distorted?
- If the cables aren’t securely inserted, or crossed this may cause interference. One thing that usually works is swapping the cables around. A wireless card may also cause interference if it's near the OSD.
- Will the Neuros OSD work after the digital over-the-air conversion happens on February 17, 2009, in the United States?
- Yes. Users who record TV directly may need to adjust their settings. Please visit the Digital Conversion Compatibility page for detailed information on which devices will be affected and how to adjust your setup.
- Post your issue to our user community.
- User-contributed Wiki with articles, tips and tricks.
For Neuros Support, please email firstname.lastname@example.org